Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Judyc

PI-IBS after ruptured appendix

Judyc

Until May 2015, I had a gut of iron.  I could eat anything and never had any issues.  I was 63 in May 2015.  At that time, I was on the Caribbean Princess Cruise Ship in the Atlantic Ocean when my appendix ruptured.  I was airlifted to the Azores where I had 5 hours of surgery and two weeks in the hospital there on IV antibiotics for all of those 2 weeks.  Upon returning to home in California for convalescing, I got an incesional hernia. In September I had my first hernia surgery with no mesh.  Later that month I had an intestinal obstruction and spent 4 days in the hospital.  A couple of months later I had what I thought was more blockage with cramping just above the navel.  I had this IBS at that time but also found that the hernia surgery didn't work and went in for a 5 hour hernia surgery with a mesh inserted.  4 months later back came the IBS symptoms.  The Gastrointerologist said I had Post Infectious IBS.  This won't be confirmed until I have a colonoscopy in a couple of weeks.  

In the mean time, I have seen a dietitian and done my own research.  I took Align that worked great for a couple of weeks, then stopped working.  I have taken L-Glutimine with no effect.  I stopped Lactose, with no change.  I have found that if I eat very little at one time, I do better.  If I eat a full meal....there is hell to pay.  I have cramping and bloating.  Every morning I have 3-5 bouts of diarrhea.  Sometime I have more diarrhea through the day.  I haven't lost any weight.  Sometimes I think I have a kink in my intestines from all of the surgery which makes it difficult to illuminate all at one time.  It is all a mystery and am tired of it.  My instinct says I won't get any answers from the colonoscopy.  I will know in a couple of weeks.

• Upvote 1

Advertisement
AlisonfromSickofIBS

Hi Judy,

Wow, that's quite a story. It must have been hell.

It's good that you are having a colonoscopy. At least you will know what to rule out.

If you think you may have a kink in your intestines, a physiotherapist may be able to manually work on it, if the area is not too sore. I had this done once and it helped things, although it was not a total solution.